Say, there is a system that contains all the imaginable knowledge, direct mind's eye accounts, visualizations, impressions, opinions and thoughts from people's brains all over the world, basically a much much larger version of what we see in Google.
When we into the system, the system would directly sense our visceral needs and alter our brain's electrical pathways directly. There is no need to even translate it into language.
If such a system should exist it could become our ultimate best friends. It would generate the perfect conversations, perfect activities for us because it could use the entire world's brain content to engage us through direct perception like the matrix concept.
1st concern: Immediate future tech and concentration:
I think technology today is creating an overload of information. There is just too much information thrown at you at every instant of time. Its enslaving us.
- Like if you check out videos on youtube about conceptions for the future, you might see -
- A coffee cup with a ton of information displayed on it.
- Screens showing information everywhere measuring some phenomenon or the other.
- And it might not just be textual, it might even be video information like buildings with screens throughout their exterior showing animated billboards and videos
- Zillions of gadgets that you carry along with showing that keep buzzing you and interrupting your train of thought all the time.
- Alpha - a state similar to getting moderately drunk,
- Theta - of reverie and fantasy, children are usually in this state
- Gamma - state of super learning and highest sensitivity and perception. Children in their language learning stage show a lot of gamma activity
While continuously watching TV, due to continuous movements of the camera every 3-5secs - panning, zooming etc the orientation response is triggered. Orientation response is basically fight or flight.
To give an example: If a guy goes into a relaxed alpha state while playing his guitar in the forest hears a lion roar, he shows this orientation response and shifts his attention to the roar and decides whether to stay or run. He then moves into the beta state. This is a stressful and restless state.
The TV does this to us every 3-5 secs. How can we ever hope to reach the more desirable states? Huge amounts of information thrown to us all the time by work and technology is doing something similar in my opinion. As it is many many people have major stress issues and cant truly relax. All these extra inventions would only exacerbate their situation. And with all the medical improvements available, they would keep getting temporarily cured and be stuck in this cycle and live in delusion.
2nd concern: If each person decides to live in a tailor made virtual world like the matrix, will we ever find common purpose again among human beings?